Havercroft, Wakefield .
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Havercroft is a small former mining village and civil parish in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and like many of the surrounding villages, it is still recovering from the effects of pit closures; in the last 100 years it has grown from a small collection of homes to a thriving village in its own right; it is split into two undistinct sections, Newstead, which occupies the higher ground of Newstead hill and the main village of Havercroft.

The name has been spelt in several ways over the years, including Havercrofte and Hauercroft; the first part of the word could be derived from the Old Norse word "hafr" meaning "he-goat" but it is most likely comes from the Old English word "haefera" meaning "oats", and as a croft is an enclosure, then Havercroft means "an oats enclosure".

For hundreds of years, Havercroft was an agricultural community and the few people who lived here worked in the fields; it does not appear in the Doomsday Book but it can be traced back on old maps and charters of 1155, when Henry the Second, father of Richard the Lionheart, was King of England.

Newstead Hall, where the higher ground of Havercroft got its name, was built in 1708, but it was later demolished and turned into a modern farmhouse using stone from the original Hall.

Havercroft suffered from high unemployment in the 1980s due to local pit closures; since then the village has become popular with commuters travelling to nearby towns such as Pontefract, Barnsley and Wakefield.





Go back.