Darrington, Wakefield .
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Darrington is a small village and civil parish in Wakefield in West Yorkshire; the village was split in two by the busy A1 trunk road which runs from London to Scotland until the building of a fly over in the late 1970s; the heart of the village is based around the Church.

The church of St Luke and All Saints stands on a hill overlooking the village; it is of Gothic architecture with a Norman tower; the parish register dates from 1567; the church, churchyard, vicarage (now a private residence), orchard, servants' cottages, church house, known as the dovecote, and the tithe barn were all enclosed in a ring fence; inside the church there is an unusual stair turret with an arcaded gallery attached to the north aisle; it is probably 14th century and may have been a watching gallery.

The earliest recorded instance of the name Darrington spelt as it is today is 1558, according to a book by A.H. Smith "The Place Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire", but in 1086 the name was written Darnitone and the name probably means the farmstead of Darding or Deornod; in mediaeval times the area was possibly wooded, although lying on the edge of the lowland of the plain of York.

The Domesday Book states that the manor of Darrington was held by Ilbert de Lacy; there were eight ploughs in and the taxable value was 100 shillings, with that of a mill three shillings; a 19th century mill is said to stand on the same site but the sails have disappeared.

For hundreds of years Darrington subsisted on agriculture, with an unusual crop known as teazles, grown for the Yorkshire woollen industry; the local farmers went to market by pony and trap; the residents worked on farms, in the woodyard making equipment for farms, for the blacksmith hooping cart wheels, shoeing horses, or for the tailor making hunting pink, sports clothes for the gentry or livery for their servants; there was also a tinner whose wife would travel to Leeds to buy large sheets of tin, which she carried home on a rope suspended from her neck; these sheets were made into milk cans, ladling cans, baths etc; the standard price for repairs to any of these items was tuppence.



 

Go back.