Hunslet, Leeds .
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Hunslet is an inner-city area in south Leeds, West Yorkshire; it is in the lower Aire Valley and is bounded on the east by the River Aire; it covers nearly 1200 acres of flat land and covers Hunslet Moor, Hunslet Carr, Crown Point, Pottery Fields and Penny Hill, which is the old centre of Hunslet referred to as Hunslet Grange when the Leek Street Flats (1968 to 1983) were built; the Flats were demolished fifteen years later and redeveloped in the 1980s with more traditional houses.

Hunslet is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, though twelfth-century spellings of the name such as Hunsflete seem to be more conservative: the name appears originally to have meant 'Hun's inlet', from an Anglo-Saxon personal name Hun and the Old English word fleot 'creek, inlet', probably referring to an inlet from the River Aire; at the time of the Domesday survey in 1086, the manor belonged to the Lacys, from whom it passed to various families including the Gascoignes and the Neviles.

Hunslet had many engineering companies based in the district, such as John Fowler & Co. manufacturers of traction engines & steam rollers, the Hunslet Engine Company builders of locomotives (including for the Channel Tunnel), as well as engineering firms Kitson & Co., Manning Wardle and Hudswell Clarke and many railway locomotives were built in the Jack Lane area.

The area has a mixture of modern and 19th century industrial buildings, terraced housing and 20th century housing; it is an area that has grown up significantly around the River Aire in the early years of the 21st century, especially with the construction of modern riverside flats; it was at one point the main production site for Leeds Creamware, a type of pottery (still produced) so called because of its cream glazing.

Its population grew rapidly in the first half of the 19th century becoming an important manufacturing centre; several large mills were built for the spinning of flax and there were chemical works, works for the manufacture of crown and flint glass, extensive potteries for coarse earthenware and the Leeds Pottery; by 1906, Hunslet was home to Leeds’ second largest gas works, the city’s main rail goods yards, known at the time as ‘Midland Goods Station’, now the site of Crown Point Retail Park, as well as a large number of factories.

The brewers Joshua Tetley and Son set up business in Hunslet in 1822 producing beer and bitter, which became part of the Carlsberg Tetley group, before closing down in 2011.

Hunslet is still primarily based around manufacturing and heavy engineering; newer industries have moved to the Western fringes of the area in recent years with the building of new office complexes including the Leeds City Business park which originally opened with offices for companies including O2 and British Gas; O2 have since relocated to Morley.

Famous People: Willis Hall.



Go back.