Norton, Doncaster.
Return
To add photos please click here Add Photos!

 

Norton is a former mining village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, South Yorkshire on the border with North Yorkshire; 'Norton' means North Farm, or North settlement, in old English; the village is situated on the “Magnesian Limestone Belt”, a landscape feature formed by a narrow north-south trending escarpment; the Belt is typified by well drained and fertile soils which were ideal for agriculture and the establishment of settlements; little is known about the village until it was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it probably had a population of 100 who were solely concerned with agriculture.

During the medieval period that followed, Robin Hood was associated with Barnsdale Forest to the west whilst the nearby village of Campsall grew in importance, gaining a chartered market and Norman church; however, Norton gets few mentions in any surviving records from this time; at a later date, Norton Priory was developed on the banks of the River Went but this never grew to be particularly significant and was subsequently demolished following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1588.

At the start of the 20th century there were rumours of the development of collieries at nearby Kirk Smeaton and Askern and as Norton was located between the two, a number of rows of red brick terraces were erected speculatively to house the anticipated influx of miners; subsequently, Askern Colliery was opened in 1910 and a new red brick pub, the Royal Hotel, was built in Norton to serve the colliers of the village.

Today Norton serves as a commuter village for people working in the nearby towns such as Doncaster and Pontefract; it has a Grade 2 listed village water pump.



Go back.